Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with Servers on network (don't know better way to phrase ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goku81

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I need help. I'm about to set up a network. I need to know if what i'm doing is correct.

Where does the server go on your network? I keep reading everywhere that you would put your Windows Server on same switch as your router...... I guess i'm just not 100% clear on how your Central Windows Server that is on same switch as router would be able to communicate with your windows machines in your network when the windows machines are scattered at different hubs (these hubs all eventually connect back to the switch). How do the Windows Workstation and and Windows Server see each other? Any help would be appreciated ^_^

Thanks

P.S. Treat me like an idiot please, explain little stuff too. I am new to networking, so please don't assume i know something, cause chances are I don't.

Well, here's my LAN setup. SWB DSL-> Router-> RRAS Server-> Cisco Catalyst Switch-> LAN. As long as there is no router between your server and the network(For beginners) then you will have no problems. Without going into too much detail, Routers seperate networks, switches and hubs do not. Hubs propagate all traffic out all ports, switches make more of a "point-to-point" connection giving better bandwidth.
As for the server on the network.. Like I said, no router, no problem. The machines will send out requests for who they want to talk to... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back