Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with random time changes in PDA appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

besfirst

Instructor
Aug 10, 2002
US
I have a client who is running on 2 WINXP networked computers. She is using a Keocera phone/Sprint that includes her Palm. SHe has used the Palm Desktop and Outlook Express to synch with. For months the times on her appointments randomly change either an hour forward and an hour back. The only thing consisent seems to be that it happens after a synch. Partner just got a new Palm Zire and he is having the same problem with his. That WinXP computer is the server of the two.

Trying to track this has found that even on a recurr apt., some dates change and some stay the same. Meaning the next month may jump ahead 1 hour but the remainder stay in place.

Checked all the daylight time features on the computer and palm and set them to the same, different, all off. Nothing seems to affect this.

The clock on the PCs do not change, nor does the time in Outlook itself, or the Palm.

General cleaning of the system and office and windows updates are current. Only major other problem that can be detected is that periodically, the Microsoft Office (virtual imager) printer gets something clogged in it and slows down the whole computer and networks and makes internet access impossible from her computer until we find it and clear that. OTher than this weirdness-everything else running clear and clean.

Help?!?!?!?

Jeanne
jeanne@mysoftwarecoach.com

right-click the notification area clock on the XP, Adjust Date and Time, Time Zone. Is this identical to the Time Zone on your PDA?

Check that the Time Zone information is correct. What you are describing is two devices that are using two different Time Zones.

Yup, definitely thought that was it too. Especially because of it being one hour increments. And had pretty much written it off to the Sprint software messing with the synch and time zone changes associated with travel and a cell phone aspect. But the real kicker was when the new Palm Zire on the other computer did the same thing.

We have turned off the auto daylight saving feature on the PC and phone and have turned them both on. The times match. Then tired it with both on. With one on and one off, etc. We have been trouble shooting this patiently for months. The times match before and after the synch. We have also included checking the times in Outlook and the Palm Desktop Software. (Poor client has just taken to writing the time in every appointment since she never really knows if it went an hour early or an hour late or is at the real time...she fixes them when she sees them.)

I had pretty much written it off to her actually traveling and some time sensor on the phone with the Palm OS on the Keocera and Sprint's software...then the clean new Zire and the other PC led me to belive there might be hope of finding something elsewhere to solve the problem.

I sure appreciate your thoughts. Maybe even the order of how we are checking the settings is tripping us up. But I feel more confident in trouble shooting the Zire than the phone so am back on the path!

Jeanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back