Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help With Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

peryan77

Programmer
May 7, 2004
US
I would like to return those records where Action = "Change Plan" for 3 months in a row (past three months) for all the users.

These are the users where we have to change their plan because it has been recommended to do so three times in a row.

One record would look like this:
Recommended_Plan Action USERID Date Current Plan
---------------- ------ ------ ------ ------------
RAS Change AUT1CXG 04/01/2003 VPN

Here is how I did it, it works, but it is definetely not the way to do it because what if i wanted to return records where the value occurs 8 times in a row? Do I add 8 of the same tables?

sQ_Plan_Change is One Query. I just added this query to a subquery 3 times.

SELECT T_Users.USERID, T_Users.LastName, T_Users.FirstName
FROM ((sQ_Plan_Change RIGHT JOIN T_Users ON sQ_Plan_Change.USERID = T_Users.USERID) LEFT JOIN sQ_Plan_Change AS sQ_Plan_Change_1 ON T_Users.USERID = sQ_Plan_Change_1.USERID) LEFT JOIN sQ_Plan_Change AS sQ_Plan_Change_2 ON T_Users.USERID = sQ_Plan_Change_2.USERID
WHERE (((sQ_Plan_Change.Date)=#2/1/2004#) AND ((sQ_Plan_Change_1.Date)=#3/1/2004#) AND ((sQ_Plan_Change_2.Date)=#4/1/2004#) AND ((sQ_Plan_Change.Action)="Change Plan") AND ((sQ_Plan_Change_1.Action)="Change Plan") AND ((sQ_Plan_Change_2.Action)="Change Plan"));

What is the most effective way to do this?

peryan77

I reviewed your query, and I think some essential information may be missing....

Your end results - out is...
Recommended_Plan Action USERID Date Current Plan

But your query returns...
SELECT T_Users.USERID, T_Users.LastName, T_Users.FirstName

Based on your query, your tables, so far are...
T_Users
USERID - pk
LastName
FirstName

sQ_Plan_Change
UserID
Action
Date

What is puzzling is...
- Where does Current_Plan and Recommended_Plan come from, and are these the same fields?
- You seem to be selecting from the same table, sQ_Plan_Change, three times with hardcoded dates - do you have use such a particular approach everytime you run this query? (I think this is primary issue with your post)

Also - NOTE: DATE is a reserved word, and you seem to be using it as a field name - dangerous.

Assuming Recommended_Plan and the Current_Plan are part of the table sQ_Plan_Change, then the following may work for you...
Code:
SELECT T.IserID, Format(CDate, "mmm") as Month, Count(Action) as Num_Recommendations, Recommended_Plan
FROM T_User as T, SQ_Plan_Change as P
WHERE P.Action="Change" and T.Userid = P.Userid
GROUP BY T.UserID, Format(CDate, "mmm"), Recommended_Plan;

(I used CDate instead of Date for the name of your variable)

You can tweak this code...
- For quarters, Format(CDate, "q")
- Expand upon the WHERE clause to select before or afteyr a specific date.

I am not sure I answered your question, but hopefully, I gave you some ideas.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back