Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with ports to open for NIM to get through a Firewall DMZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

tericen

Technical User
Jul 19, 2011
US
Hi Guys Would anybody have a definitive list of ports that NIM needs to be opened to allow for
communication through a firewall .My network team need to know whether these ports are tcp or udp
and which side needs to be opened , Server or client or bidirectional. I've had a good look and have
not found a document that gives me this info. Any help much appreciated .

Just in case you weren't able to get to the link provided (I wasn't) here is the list of ports that NIM uses:

Try this link...

Breakdown of ports that need to be opened in a firewall for use with NIM:
Protocol Port(s)
nimsh 3901 - 3902
rsh* 513 - 1023**
rlogin* 513
shell* 514
bootp 67 - 68
tftp 69 and 32,768 - 65,535
nfs 2049
mountd 32,768 - 65,535 or user's choice
portmapper 111
NIM 1058 - 1059

*Required for rsh operation

**For every NIM communication using rsh, leave five (5) ports open starting at 1023, and decreasing from there.
See additional information in 'Firewall Considerations,' rule 3.

***When using the 'nimsh' communication protocol, ports 513 - 1023 must still be opened when a client is trying to add themselves to the NIM masters database. Although these ports must be opened for communication, 'rsh' does not need to be enabled on either the NIM master or client.

Regards,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back