Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with out of memory errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bos

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I have a program which uses a lot of textfields. At times, the number of text fields will be over 6000 or 7000. For most of the textfields, only integer or other numeric values are used.

The way the program works is it starts with very few textfields. The user can enter a selection which will then bring up a large number of fields. If the users option selects over 3000 fields the out of memory error occurs.

Is there any way to get rid of the out of memory errors? Please let me know.

Buy more memory !
Or cut down the number of text fields...

That might be what it comes down to, but for now I'm holding out for something better. My program runs great and the text fields provide the user with a lot of flexibility. Is there an alternative to textfields which would still allow the user to submit numeric values while cutting down on memory use? Please let me know.

Unless there was some specific layout you needed to follow in the placement of the text fields, is there any reason way you can not use a Table?

Just add/remove rows to the table as they are required.

That being said I have no idea if the memory requirements are better or worst if you are using one Table with 3000 rows or 3000 individual text fields. Im guessing 1 table would use less memory due to less objects being used.
But I honestly dont know. ----------------------------------------
There are no onions, only magic
----------------------------------------

I considered using a table initially, but I was under the impression that within a table you had to put the text fields. I might have been wrong with that idea. I'd like to find out if a table might be a better alternative. If anyone knows I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back