Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with Oracle ODBC link

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsyrell

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
I'm attempting to link to several different Oracle tables using Access 97 with ODBC drivers. I am able to successfully link to many of them, but am receiving the following message with certain tables:

"Invalid field definition 'SYS_NC00018$' in definition of index or relationship."

The field identified 'SYS_NC00018$' is not a field within the table, so I'll assume it's a system generated name. The number (00018) changes from table to table. I am able to link to these tables within Access 2000, and have reviewed the definitions, finding nothing out of the ordinary. Our preference is to use 97, so I would really like to find out and correct this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tom

SYS_NC00018 refers to the name of the Index or Constraint internally within the Oracle table you are attempting to link to. Could this table possibly have more than 255 columns on the Oracle side? And, if this index pointing to a field that is beyond the scope of 255 fields? I hit somehting similar many moons ago with Access97. I was linking to an Oracle table with 400 columns and Access would truncate at 255. An index was added to a field at position 300 or so and I had lots of trouble. My work-around was to use SQL Pass-Through queries to get the information and also grab some of the data beyond column 255. I think Access2000 permits 512 fields? Of course no database table should be that poorly designed. htwh Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"
e-Mail: Stephen_Medvid@GMACM.com

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Steve,

Actually, one of the tables I'm looking at has only 17 fields, and the others are around 100. I'll look into any other constraints that might be on the Oracle tables.

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back