Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with my backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekITupSum

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2008
US
I'm trying to setup a backup solution to backup locally to a disk storage and then replicate the data offsite to an identical SAN over a WAN. I'm a bit overwhelmed on trying to figure out the proper way to do this. (go easy on me lol)

I'll start off by going over the hardware and software i am provided with.

Two EMC/Iomega Storcenter ix12 with 5.5tb of available HDD space each
Symantec Backup Exec 2010

I created Symantec backup to disk folder, it creates .bkf file on the disk folders when i do a backup (set to 10gig file)

i did a full backup last night and its 500gig of data. and I'm replicating that backup to the other san right now using the Iomega's rsync copy job application that it came with (which i haven't relocated to the remote site yet). so tomorrow I'll do an incremental then replicate that.. and so on but how long can i do these incremental until i should do another full backup and then how would i replicate 500gigs when i put the 2nd San in the remote co-location?

sounds like I'm headed in the wrong direction. i need some type of synchronous replication between the servers and the remote San and then the local scan i just do regular backup to disk.

My goal is to at least be able to recover our highly critical data from our remote San if there was a disaster preventing me from accessing it from our local San.

500GB's over the WAN? What type of network link do you have? I'm assuming T1 :) That would take a week+ to transfer.

It is all going to rely on what type of data you are needing to replicate.

Your environment needs to be discussed as well as the data you are protecting.

Are you Windows Server environment? Is it file server data? Can this data be replicated in a DFS environment and you remain backing up only one instance with a live hot copy at your remote site?

There are many variables to what you are trying to accomplish.

Shooting 500GB of .BKF files over the WAN is not a viable option unless you have a point to point on a major internet pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back