Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with logging users off the network - Not Using Terminal Serv

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgomez1999

Technical User
May 25, 2000
US
I want to have the option to log employees out of the network if they've been idle for 5 minutes. I am not using terminal server. Some of our employees leave client data open to the public and walk away from their desk. I would like Windows 2000 Server to have a policy that will close that program within 5 minutes of idle time and the employee will have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to log back into the the network. I would also want to make sure it saves any data they were working on to be saved. Any help will be appreciated.

You could set the hibernate feature on the local machines and check the box to "Prompt for password when computer comes off standby". Of course, if you have many users this may not be a rational idea as you would have to configure it at each workstation. I don't know of any GPO settings that will enable you to do this...Maybe someone else out there does. :)

Patty [ponytails2]

This doesn't directly address your question, but a simple password protected screensaver that kicks in after x minutes of inactivity might do in the short term (we use the Logon Screen Saver as our default).

Around here we have a company policy that says users are not supposed to leave their desks without first doing a three-fingered salute and locking the workstation. When leaving for the day they are supposed to log out and shut off their monitor. As far as I know nobody has been fired for violating this, but several repeat-offenders have been invited into a manager's office and asked to close the door...

Cheers.

Darts [Morning] "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" -- Dale Carnegie.

Wow, it's amazing that Microsoft implemented a feature like this for Terminal Services but not for a regular company lan. I've searched everywhere and no luck with the exception of third party utilities that I was hoping not to use because of the number of PC's I would have to install the freeware util on (300+). Oh well! :eek:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back