Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with linking to "txt" file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmer12

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
GB
I am trying to do the following.
I have created a page with two tables in it, one table has the words "test", when I click on the word "test" I would like it to call in a "text" file into the other table showing me the contents of this text file.

Anyone have any Idea's I am just starting out and my boss is on my back.

palmer...

there are a coupla ways you can do this... but it all comes down to one thing... the location of the text file you wanna open up!
if its on the client... you can actually use the File System Object to actually parse thru your text file and display the contents! again... here... you would be looking at using Javascript and doing all the reading at the Client site and it is imperative that the text file be present in the client machine...

another simple option would be the use of an IFRAME. Well... if you only need to IE support and your application does not really care about NS then you'd rather go ahead with the introduction of an IFRAME in the second table... and on the click of word 'test', you can look at just setting the location of the IFRAME to the corresponding '.txt' file. Text files are of the same content type and would be rendered in your IFRAME....

yeah? guess this helped?
Sham aka boolean... be practical/be straight... true/false?!

This is very helpful.

My only problem is do you have any code I could use.

The file "test.txt" will be held on the client machine.

Does this help??

Thanks for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back