Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with IIS5 SMTP Virtual Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPink

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
Hi, I have IIS5 set up and I'm using the CDONTS Newmail object to submit forms via email.  The problem I'm having is that all the messages get dumped into the badmail folder instead of sent out.  Our web server is a Win2k machine named NTSRV7 in the domain rmland.com  However, since our email is currently out-sourced by a local company, our SMTP server (smtp.rochestermidland.com) is not part of our LAN.  I've tried setting this up as a smart host but can't get it to work.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated.  Thanks

Hi MrPink.  Is the script you have written referencing the smtp.rochester.midland.com server?

Is there a way to reference the smtp server using CDONTS Newmail?&nbsp;&nbsp;If there is then that would most likely fix my problem<br>I installed a third party component (JMail) and that let me explicitly reference the server and it's working okay but for future reference I'd still like to know how to make the SMTP virtual server work<br>thanks for your help

Hi.<br><br>It sounds as though the smtp server can not resolve the smarthost.&nbsp;&nbsp;Interesting that the jmail can.<br><br>I haven't had a chance to look at iis5, but iis4 you have to get the settings pretty much spot-on, otherwise it sulks, and doesn't send the mails.<br><br>You have to make sure that the host domain - probably NTSRV7.rmidland.com - has a dns record which matches its IP.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then again, this server may only internally available. (if you have one)you might try using your exchange servers host-name as a smarthost.&nbsp;&nbsp;This works ok for the set-up where I work.<br>

i am also having the same problem except that my smtp server is situted in the US so please give me the solution to it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back