Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with Filemake Server external authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
I just inherited a File Maker 8 Server environment. I've been going through the vendor documentation but it is very "light" (not detailed/too general), so it's been hard to find any answers.

The server is configured to use external accounts, which I believe translates to Windows AD domain accounts/groups.
For the end users, the way it works is they open File Maker Pro, and do Open Remote. When operating correctly, a list of available databases opens on the right.

Here's the problem: On computer COMPUTER_1, domain user account USER_1 will login and have no problems connecting to FM files.

Next USER_1 will hop onto COMPUTER_2. Using the same open remote procedures, they get prompted with a FM authenitcation screen (which doesn't come up on COMPUTER_1)that asks for a user name and password. At this point, the USER_1 domain account automatically becomes locked in AD due to our password policies (3 incorrect attempts = locked account). The user actually doesn't even need to do anything, ie they don't even attempt to supply their credentials, and their domain account is already locked. So next we need to first unlock the domain account, then the user enters their domain credentials in the FM login screen, and they are able to open the FM files.

So to summarize, the same AD user account can login to one system and access files from the FM server without any issues.
Using a different workstation, it locks their account for no apparent reason.
Any ideas on what is happening? Eventually the different workstation will let the user on, but not without a major inconvenience.

Hi,

We use external authentication where I work, and I have noticed the exact issue you are describing when switching between computers that have Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista installed. If I go on a machine with XP Service Pack 2, I'm ok. I am not sure what the issue is but something must change on the Windows side of things that causes problems for Filemaker.

I've noticed that if I put my credentials in and give Filemaker a few minutes, it usually works. I tried searching on the various message boards out there (fmforums, mainly) and didn't find anyone else talking about this, either.

Dr Tree

Dr Tree - Thanks for the reply. I haven't noticed any pattern that consistently breaks authentication (ie SP levels or OS). Once we unlock the domain account, then authentication works fine.

Another workaround I have found is to have the user use only the "open recent" document list. I have not run into authentication errors using this method; but only when you choose to broswe the entire list published on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back