Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with ds3!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddyjohn

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
US
We want to run our new ds3 with our current 3620 cisco router. Does anyone have anything to say about this? I do not want to buy a new router, i'd rather buy four gig cards for our 3620.what do you think?

Is this router maxed on RAM and flash (well, maybe not necessarily flash). DS3 is fast, wouldn't you rather get something a little bit faster. The 3620 only has an 80MHz CPU.

Depends also on how you are planning to connect the DS-3 to the router. If by the NM1-TE3 module it will not work in any 3600 series below a 3660. If you have an external DS-3 DSU then you can slap in a HSSI card, but you can only run 1 DS-3 connection.

As for running 4 gig ports I assume you are planning to run NM-1GE's. These modules are only supported on the 3660 platforms.

This link will take you to the 3600 modules page.

Info on the Gig E for the 3600 series router:

Info on the DS-3 WAN module, nifty cause you can run the coax directly into the router.

Info on the HSSI interface:

One other thing, as to the speed of DS3's. We have had DS3's terminate on both 3640's and 3620's using external DSU's an HISSI cards. But you souldn't wory too much about handeling the speed of a DS3 because it's still slower than standard fast ethernet.

just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back