Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with drive FORMAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

softdrink

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
CA
I have 3 partitions. When I re-install win2000, I only have an option to install over the existing files and it saves all my programs after the task is done. How do I format the drive first and then install Win2000. What do I need as a tool to do this.

thanks,

softdrink

First boot off the CD and so not start the installation while in Windows. Second, when it comes up and looks for existing installations, esc out of it. On the Drive Partition screen, delete all files (highlight partition, press d, press l). Then recreate the first partition for th OS. Wait until Windows is installed prior to making the other partitions.

I forgot to mention that I use NTFS not fat32.

I wouldn't use fat32 and you're not so that's a good start.
Either way though, the file system you use wouldn't make a difference on the procedure for format and fresh install.

If you are not worried about the data on the other partitions, then I would wipe the whole thing, and only create one partition for the time being. (leaving unused/unpartitioned space on the hard drive.)
You don't need a tool, all you need is your win2k cd. It's a boot cd. Just simpley restart the mahcine with the cd in the cd-rom. Press 'any' key to start win2k boot. If it doesn't want to load from the cd on a start up, then make sure you check the order of your boot sequence in the bios.

At this point it is pretty straightforward. Follow the directions in the setup process, you have the options to install over previous win2k, or wipe the whole drive and create new partitions. Once you have installed win2k, right click my computer, click manage then click disk management. You can create partitions from the unsued portions of your hard drive there. You can also upgrade your hard drive partitions from basic to dynamic! Much better options using dynamic.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back