Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with DISTINCT on single column with multiple output with multiple joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgulic

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I have a GridView (populated by MSSQL) that displays information about order line items. Each Line Item is part of an Order and each Order belongs to a Project (3 tables).

The GridView has several DropDownList's that filter the GridView results (based on user selection). I am currently attempting to filter the results of the items in the DropDownList's that have not been selected yet based on what is selected from the preceding DropDownList (cascading effect). I have the [STATUS] DropDownList working, but I ran into trouble with the [PROJECT] DropDownList.

Here is a picture (in case a visual helps)
(....and its test data. we don't actually order brass poles, handcuffs and nurse's uniforms :))

DropDownLists:
------------
[STATUS] = Id, Status Name (received, invoiced, ordered, etc.)
[PROJECT] = Id, Project Name (project1, project2, etc.)
[ORDER] = Id, Order Number (order1, order2, etc.)
[PART] = Id, Part Name (part1, part2, etc.)

When a user selects a [STATUS] of say 'received', the GridView filters its results to reflect this, only displaying line items with that status. In addition to this I also want the items in the [PROJECT] DropDownList to be filtered to show only DISTINCT project names that have orders with line items in the status of 'received'

I have a state that works in MS SQL SMS, but does not in ASP.NET

Working on SQL SMS

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT [Order].FK_ProjectId, Project.ProjectName
FROM         OrderLineItem 
LEFT OUTER JOIN OrderLineItemStatus ON OrderLineItem.FK_StatusId = OrderLineItemStatus.OrderLineItemStatusId 
LEFT OUTER JOIN [Order] ON OrderLineItem.FK_OrderId = [Order].OrderId 
LEFT OUTER JOIN Project ON [Order].FK_ProjectId = Project.ProjectId
WHERE FK_StatusId IN ('4','5','6','7','8','10','11','12')

The DropDownList that will be supplying the value for the WHERE is like so

<asp:ListItem Value="4','5','6','7','8','9','10','11','12">(All Items)</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="9">(Closed Items)</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="4','5','6','7','8','10','11','12" Selected="True">(Open Items)</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="">----------------------------------------</asp:ListItem>
.......added after these static items are ALL the individual status's from the Status table.

Problem is that the ASP apparently can not see the FK_StatusId column unless its included in the output line, which of course cancels out the whole point of having the DISTINCT
Code:
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource_Filter_Project" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString_SqlClient %>" 
  SelectCommand="SELECT DISTINCT pr.ProjectId, pr.ProjectName
    FROM OrderLineItem AS i 
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Project AS pr 
    RIGHT OUTER JOIN [Order] AS o ON pr.ProjectId = o.FK_ProjectId ON i.FK_OrderId = o.OrderId 
    ORDER BY pr.ProjectName"
  FilterExpression="FK_StatusId IN ('{0}')">
  <FilterParameters>
   <asp:ControlParameter Name="Status" ControlID="ctl00$MainContent$DropDownList_Filter_Status" PropertyName="SelectedValue" />
  </FilterParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>

Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide that would assist you in helping me.
I have been toiling over this for 3 days will no progress. I realize that this is a very complex issue and I would not blame anyone that would choose to avoid this challenge.

Thank-you for your time and knowledge.

Why not use your

WHERE FK_StatusId IN ('4','5','6','7','8','10','11','12')

in the sql statement in ASP?

Simi

The WHERE condition is NOT static.
The statement used in SMS was for example purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back