Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with creating a Search Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

MChancellor

Technical User
Jan 12, 2000
US
My boss has asked me to add a search capability to a database. I have an idea, but I need to know whether or not it is even feasible. If it IS feasible, then what would be the best method for implementing it. My idea for the search capability is as follows:

Create a form that is identical to the data entry form (which contains all the information they could possibly want to know), and allow them to search on any of the available fields. Once they have entered the search criteria, then I need it to filter out only those records matching the criteria.

I do know somewhat about the workings of VB... and could code it if necessary.

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Misti

A good bet if the search form is to look identical as the data entry form is to use 'Filter by form'.

Let me know if u need more info.

Nick

What about using the built in Ctrl-F feature of Access to search based on bound controls? This is so easy, you don't have to program anything. Are your fields bound?

Gary
gwinn7

I have a rather interesting situation when I attempt the "Filter by Form" option.

If I filter by anything in the main form - the filter works great - does exactly what it is supposed to.

In the two subforms on the main form, the fields on the form are filled based on matching the ID number with the main form. When I try to "Filter by Form" based on the subform - it doesn't work at all. It gives me all the records in the database - without the information being filled in on the subform.

Is there a way to remedy this?

Thanks...
Misti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back