Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with connecting to database

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrober

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
OK, first off, I am not a Database guy, I am a network guy. I do consulting for small businesses. I have a client using a medical records program called MicroMD. It has a client software that connects to a database on a server. This company has 2 office's that had a site to site VPN between them.

I had a PC that had this software installed on a system in the main office where the server is, this program worked good, no issues. This user moved to the second office, which has a different subnet, but the VPN connects them. Now when I attempt to launch the program, I get the following problems.

1. When I first launch, it thinks for a minute and then I get a window pop up with connection properties. The title of the window is "Connect to Adaptive Server Anywehre". It has a Login Tab, and ODBC tab, a database tab, network tab, and Advanced Tab. As far as I can tell, these settings are all correct, nothing should have changed.

2. If I click "Cancel" on that properties window, I get an error message that says:
Error [100]
Unable to connect transaction using DSN entry 'MEDICAL'; No data was found to satisfy the request.
I click the OK button and everything closes.

3. If I click "OK" on the properties window instead of cancel, I get this error message:
Error [-100]
Unable to connect transaction using DSN entry 'MEDICAL'; SQLSTATE = 08001 [SYBASE][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Database server not found.

IF I take this PC back to the original office, it works fine. In second office with different IP subnet, i get the problems. Anyone have any ideas?

I have verified that I am able to access all the shares on the server the same from the second office as from the main office.

If I did not provide enough info, please let me know, I have not done alot with databases before, so this has me somewhat lost. I was not around when this program was originally installed, the company who makes it charges a crazy yearly support fee that my client does not want to pay, since they dont use this program anymore for new data, they just keep it around for accessing previous data.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Can you ping the database server from the remote offices? Any firewall rules between these offices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back