Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with bios proformance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskimo69

Technical User
Aug 4, 2003
US
Okay this is getting on my nerves after I got the bios back and running I installed all of my drives ect. BUT it takes me about five minutes to boot from a floppy it took me 3 hours to try and format the hard drive. I didn't have the patience to wait for setup to work and this my friends is why I am here now. Any info would be very helpfull....

If I disconnect my hard drive I can boot from a floppy within seconds could there be an IRQ conflict or DMA. Is my hard drive bad. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFULL!!!!?

I would lean towards the drive being bad. I had a 27 gig maxtor drive that took longer and longer to format every time it was done: first time was an hour or so, but after a few times it took something like 30 hours to format! I gave up on that one.... But it might be worth doing a surface scan, could be bad sectors on the drive are the problem. Be warned that the scan could take a long, long time...
Either way, I would get a new drive.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

It had way too many bad sectors it didn't help
but I couldn't get on here till today so..... Anyways I built my other new computer. specs are 400 mhz celeron, 16mb nvidia agp video, 20gb maxtor hd (new!!!), 54x cd-rom (new!!!) windows 98.... thanks everyone for your help

My suggestions

1. Change your RAM sticks into different slots.

2. If that doesn't work - An average hard-drive ribbon cable has 3 slots. 1 goes into the motherboard, one into a primary drive, one into a secondary. If the slot on the top of the ribbon cord is plugged into the hard-drive, plug it into the one below it/vice versa. If that doesn't work - plug the slot that goes into the motherboard into a different slot on the motherboard. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK - Change the ribbon cord from a 40 pin to an 80/ or 80 to 40. And if nothing works - I would say your harddrive is dead.

I had no problems getting the hard drive to show up in post or with the way I connected things my hd was shot. If you had been intelligent enough to read the post right before yours you would have known that I already bought a new HD and it is running right next to where I am sitting right now. Another thing I don't think IDE comes in a 80pin

It's all good. I was jokeing sometimes I do that I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back