Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with BCP syntax

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandatime

Programmer
Jan 29, 2010
AU
Hi,

I am having issues trying to get this to work. I can't really see what the problem with my syntax is:

Code:
declare @execMe varchar(255)
declare @fileDt varchar(20), @fileName varchar(40)

select @fileDt = convert(varchar, GetDate(), 120)
set @fileDt = substring(@fileDt,1,4)+substring(@fileDt,6,2)+substring(@fileDt,9,2)+substring(@fileDt,12,2)+substring(@fileDt,15,2)+substring(@fileDt,18,2)
set @fileName = 'myFile_' + @fileDt + '.txt'
print @fileName

set @execMe = 'bcp "SELECT * FROM myTable where name = ''Joe'' and id <= 10" queryout "G:\myDir\' + @fileName + '"' + ' -T -c -e "G:\myDir\error.txt"'
print @execMe

The error is:
Error = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unable to open BCP host data-file

(I have write perms in this directory)

Any ideas?

Thanks much!

Worked fine for me when I used the local drive:

Code:
declare @execMe varchar(255)
declare @fileDt varchar(20), @fileName varchar(40)

select @fileDt = convert(varchar, GetDate(), 120)
set @fileDt = substring(@fileDt,1,4)+substring(@fileDt,6,2)+substring(@fileDt,9,2)+substring(@fileDt,12,2)+substring(@fileDt,15,2)+substring(@fileDt,18,2)
set @fileName = 'myFile_' + @fileDt + '.txt'
print @fileName

set @execMe = 'bcp "SELECT * FROM AdventureWorks.HumanResources.Department where name like ''I%''" queryout "c:\Tests\' + @fileName + '"' + ' -T -c -e "C:\Tests\error.txt"'
print @execMe

PluralSight Learning Library

I could be wrong, but I thought that the BCP was executed using the login rights of whoever is logged on to the SQL Server. So you may have writes to the G: path, but if the same network path isn't mapped to G: on the server, it won't work.

Monkeylizard
Sometimes just a few hours of trial and error debugging can save minutes of reading manuals.

monkeylizard has a point, I forget that every once in a while and wish I had hair to pull out.

URL's help even if the drive is mapped.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back