Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help With Backup on Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

irt

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
US
Perhaps one of the experts in Windows 2000 Server can help with this problem. I am unable to restore selected files from a backup tape. We run nightly backups to a single tape, Monday through Friday, and the tape is changed each day. Each tape is used every other day, and the utility overwrites existing tape data when the backup occurs, and gives the tape a new volume label, part of which is the date of the backup. When I tried to search for and restore a single file from one of the backup tapes, the backup utility instructed me to select the tape the file was on by clicking on a gray box next to a list of labels, one of which should have corresponded to the backup date I needed the file from. Trouble is, the backup date I needed to restore from was not on the list, even though the backup was only 3 or 4 days old. Interestingly enough, the list did include a backup from several months ago. Clicking on a box at the bottom next to a tape icon without a label and inserting the tape I wanted to restore from didn't help either because the utility kept asking me to insert the very tape I had just inserted and then aborted the restore. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Insert the tape that you want to restore from and catalog it. U didnt mention what Backup software u'r using so I'm assuming its Win2k Server Backup program.

I'm also trying to restore some files from a tape created, using the W2K Server Backup app, before I rebuild my system.
How do I get the tape into the catalog? I select Tools|"Catalog a Backup File" the "Backup file name" dialog presented wants a path to the file - there is no path (drive letter) to my Tape drive (Colorado 5GB - which does backups just fine).
I seem to be missing something! Thanks for any help.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back