Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with an epoch to human date in a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

elentz

Technical User
Jan 9, 2007
US
I have some log entries that have the date / time in epoch time. It is in a MySql db and I have a query to show everything I want. The problem is how do I change the epoch time to human time / date when the query is run? The query I am using is:

$sql = "Select stime,direction,Trunk,Source,destination,CallLength from export where Trunk = 'nexVortex'";

The field I need to change is stime Can someone show me how to do this? It was suggested to use an alias for this but I am at a loss as to how to do it.
Thanks for any help.

Technically you shouldn't have to. Mysql automatically returns the timestamp in a human readable format as: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS

If you are using a custom timestamp as an integer column then you can use the from_unixtime function to convert it to a readable format.

Code:
SELECT from_unixtime(stime) as formattedTimestamp, direction, ...

With that said, this was a MYSQL question, and not a PHP related question. as such the better forum for it would have been forum436

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Thanks for the reply. Actually I JUST figured it out and you are right I went to the wrong forum. But haer is what I used and it works as I need it

$sql = "Select FROM_UNIXTIME(stime,'%h:%i:%s %D %M %x'),direction,Trunk,Source,destination,CallLength from export where Trunk = 'nexVortex'";

Thanks again

Glad you solved it. Just as a note if you don't give your formatting an alias it will show up as the command.

So its column title will be: FROM_UNIXTIME(stime,'%h:%i:%s %D %M %x'), all that.

If you are using php to read the rows by using the numbered index of the column then this won't be an issue.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I see what you mean. I guess since my result is being passed to BaaGrid and I am setting the column names there it all works out. :)

Lucky I guess

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back