Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with a technique in photoshop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdssarah

Programmer
Jun 27, 2005
GB
heya,

im trying to design a poster in photoshop/illustrator. ill be doing the bones of the work in illustrator and using photoshop filters to finish it off. basically what im trying to achieve is a sort of old, torn, worn out look, as if its been around for ages. i want it to look quite aged, does anyone know which filters or options in photoshop might help me to achieve this sort of thing? if so please please please reply! thank you so so much in advance,
sarah
xxx

I'd probably start with reticulation - fade that after applying and then add some sort of distortion - ripple maybe. It's all a matter of how "effected" you want the piece to look.

There are many different ways in which digital ageing can be performed using pshop so without knowing precisely the effect you desire I will attempt to summarise a good all-round effect.
Firstly, if you're developing the base for your poster in illustrator; bring the colour image into pshop, either desaturate your image or turn it sepia,
(this depends on the type of effect desired) To turn your image sepia open up the hue/sat window, check 'colorize' and set your hue to around 30 and your saturation to 25.
Add a vignette if you wish to preserve a particular area/s of the image (eliptical marquee, feather selection, invert selection, fill with desired colour).
Now deselect (if applicable) and 'add noise' from the filters list.
Next, add a new layer, fill with white and apply a vertical grain filter. Remove selections of the layer using a rectangular marquee (use your inuition to decide which areas to keep, generally areas you want to highlight in the image, remove these areas)
Now set the blending mode to 'multiply' and affect the opacity according to the overall appearance.
Add a nice texture layer.. this can be anything you like; an applied texture filter or something scanned. A good trick is, if you have a photocopier available, leave the lid up, hit copy and screw up the page of tonor that is produced. Leave this for a few minutes, then open it out, scan it in, invert it and set the blending mode again to multiply, this will add a naturally manufactured scratched effect to the underlying image and because its naturally produced, its different every time!
To create a torn edged effect just add a new layer of white and erase everywhere except the 'tear areas' then simply fade this layer and apply a bezel if required.
Hope this was of help,
DigiPencil.

wow thank you all for all the help! this forum is great. dont kow what id do with out it! thanks again xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back