Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help wih link speeds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamdexter

Technical User
Jul 11, 2008
GB
I have created an intervlan routing using cisco devices and almost every thing worked out fine until I had this problem.

When I transfer a file using a ftp server from one vlan(desktop) to another vlan(laptop) on an 100mbps ( fast ethernet link) i'm actually getting only around 40% of the link capacity being used and vice versa. Even if i transfer a file between desktops i'm only getting around 40% of link capacity.More over even in a single vlan the average link speed is around 40mbps.

Does my hardware to be replaced ?????? or is there any mechanism to get around this problem to fix it.

Can someone please tell me what factors are responsible for this and how can i improve the link speed to atleast 80%.I'm so desparate to fix it as i'm facing huge problems with link speeds.

Thank you

If you are using cisco hardware then you have to make sure the nic settings for speed and duplex match exactly how the switchports are set. If the switchports are set as auto for speed and duplex then the nic have to be set as auto also , you cannot hardcode one end and leave the other end as auto. This also goes for any interconnecting links between devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back