Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help w/ Modem in XP Pro (Jaton 62220 Ambient chip MD5628DLB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicheleLee

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
US
My mother purchased a built PC from a shiester (poor mom)and sadly he never gave her any disks with her pc. Originally was running Windows ME, and since my nephew got ahold of the PC Windows would not startup or shut down correctly. I took the PC home to work on it and Installed Windows XP Pro. The only problem I couldnt resolve was the "Modems - PCI Simple communications Controller". I shut down and removed modem form PCI slot. Started Windows, and shut down again. I put the modem back in, and on the next restart it found the modem. Now, Windows XP has NO drivers for this modem. I have tried many forums and tried the "so called fixer uppers", with no luck. I am hoping that this same problem has crossed this forum before and someone can shed some light on this. Here is all the information I have:
Motherboard: Intel Desktop D845GBV
Modem: Jaton 62220 w/ Ambient (intel) MD5628DLB and Ambient MD1724T 11 VC. Their is a sticker on the Modem board that reads Wincomm II s/n A02205070t

Also, in my devices I see "Othe devices w/ ?" Ethernet Controller and Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller. I am sure these are next on my "FIX LIST" :(

If anyone can reply with "ANY HINTS" I would truly appreciate it as I am pulling hair out :(

Thanks!

A ton of resources for XP drivers for Jaton at
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks :) However, I have tried all the XP drivers that match my modem information at the Jaton site. Maybe I am not doing it correctly. I put the driver files in a a file and when windows asks to find it I let it look and of course it finds nothing, so I then show it the path where the driver files are and run again, but still says its not finding. One did find the drivers, but said it was not compatible with XP :(

I'll keep trying :)
Thanks so much for your kind reply!

Not quite the right way.
Usually XP drivers have a setup.exe to run.
Downloaded drivers don't always work when you let windows find new hardware.
Whenever you get "incompatible", it simply means the driver isn't certified by MS.
I would let the device install, then in device mangler, right click it, select properties, driver tab, and update driver.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back