Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help understanding SFU3.5 client vs gateway concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tookawhile

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2005
GB
I have a W2003 Srv R2,which I want to use as a gateway for NFS to a Linux server.

I've installed just the client/server part from the R2 CDs, I then installed just the Gateway from SFU3.5.

Now,on the W2003 srv, I map a network drive to the Linux NFS server (using the NFS client I guess) and all works great. I can then map XP clients to the share on the W2003 srv.

So, what is the difference if I use SFU NFS gateway to do this instead of sharing out the NFS client on the W2003 srv? It seems that they both do the same thing - is this why NFS gateway is not on R2?

Right I can see a difference, NFS Gateway allows you to set number of connections.

Can I bind the NFS Gateway to a specific NIC?

For the record, SUA that comes with W2003 SRV R2 does not have the NFS Gateway component any more, MS dropped it because of performance issues - you have to use the client.

2 downsides to this, AFAIK.

1. No friendly name can ne given for shares
2. You have to install the SFU3.5 NFS client on every desktop that needs access to NFS.
3. Additional work to lock down the NFS client

On the plus side

1. It seems to be quicker when using as a client.

how do you map user accounts if the nfs client in on the windows workstation (assuming before you were using the passwd and group files)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back