Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help troubleshooting vendor app: 100%CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmarks

Technical User
Mar 2, 2004
US
I am running a vendor app that uses an Front end hitting an Access.mdb middle to get to the SQL backend.
The problem is that when using the front end in certain conitions, the cpu usage will jump to 70-100% and that freezes everthing. After about 3-5 minutes CPU usage goes back down and the application catches up with keystrokes.
This happens on mulitple machines (NT, XP, Win2K)

The vendor is slow in troubleshooting. I have checked network issues(bandwidth, NIC drivers etc) SQL (Performance tuning,index etc) Hardware config (workstations,server config) to no avail.

I would like some advice on what to monitor using performance monitor to try and point the vendor in the right direction. Is the app trying to load something, read something, write something etc.

I have used a reg monitor but I would like advice on performance monitor or a good reference on troubleshooting..
Thank you in advance

Does the access front end uses SQL queries??? If so, sorry to say this but thats how efficient access works. Try increasing the Virtual memory or if u have a disk partition, keep the max virtual memory in the secondary partition. May help a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back