Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help to get started in SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2002
US
I am working in the MIS department as a helpdesk personal and interested to change my field to SAP. I do not know programming and does not have a desire to do ABAP either. A job in the SAP environment or a training where they can help, from one module after other within a reasonable fee structure. If any one has ideas please let me know. I am ready to relocate. Presently I am in Chicago, IL (Schaumburg to be specific)
Thanks to all who have given their input on the TEKTIPS.I know there are many who are looking for the answer to this question. It will be like enlighting the path who are blind and walking in the dark.

Do you want to go into SAP Basis or an SAP Business Analyst?
I am an SAP R/3 admin and Oracle dba. I started on the Oracle side and migrated into the SAP side. I believe there is an SAP training center in Chicago. But the classes are pricey. There are some schools that offer SAP training, search the web.

I also would likt to know how to get into SAP programming or development. I know it's tough to get a company to hire and train a newbie on SAP. I figure if I read the concept, at least I have the basic foundation to get my foot in the door. Any suggestion, reading materials?

My local university doesn't offer clases and the ones from sap.com are extremely pricey. I can't afford those courses.

Hi ITDEV, For you I suggest the following books which I have read. SAP in 24 hours(gives the general idea) Getting started with SAP r/3 by dennis L prince and the publisher is PRIMA TECH (white and blue hard cover). I have also gone through Business information warehouse for SAP by Naeem Hashmi (Prima Tech publisher) white and blue hard cover book. The problem is where you practice there is no software to download and practice at home.

Hi larrytheCucumber, Thanks for the reply.I am a junior network/helpdesk person and basically know how to install various software and troubleshoot various applications. Also most of the helpdesk kind of work I can perform. I just want to get into one or couple of Modules so I could make about $50k to start with. I have read some books as mentioned above but how could I practice without the software. Where did you learn the SAP? In Chicago I do not know any private schools with these courses.I have tried SAP center but no reply from them. I think they only give training to those who are already working in the field. How much will be the cost is another issue. Any help will be appreciated.

I took the SAP Basis classes. As I mentioned I started as a database administrator and then moved into the SAP. The company I work for hired me as a dba and the other things listed below, and then agreed to pay for the SAP classes. I also am the local network admin, wide area network admin, hardware support, internet security officer, and a couple of other things on top of that.

But it sound like you want the functional side of SAP.
That would be SD, MM, PP etc. This is the business consultant side.

Usually, funtional side and basis agrue about whose problem it is, the old hardware vs software routine.

I don't have insight on how to proceed, other than persistance.

Hi, a good way to satrt is to contact some SAP schools and get some information. A lot of SAP-schools offer help in finding a job after the training. I have been training with and I have been really satisfied with the result. Please check their website. If you contact them, please inform them, that you got the information from Anke.
Thanks,
Anke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back