Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help to get perrcentages

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconMakinWabbit

Programmer
May 27, 2002
CA
HEllo all. I appreciate any help you may be able to provide in this matter.
I have an Access table that someone made to capture the results of a survey. They used a lot of yes/no fields and I need to capture all percentages on one report. I am not sure of Access has this functionality built in or if I need to write some VBA to handle the %'s.
I wrote this function that I was going to use to calculate the percentage of Yes answers:

Public Function Percent(ColumnName As String) As Variant

Dim TotalRec As Long
Dim YesRec As Long
Dim dbs As Database
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Dim record1 As Recordset
Dim record2 As Recordset
Dim SQLColumn As Variant

SQLColumn = ColumnName
Set record1 = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT COUNT(" & SQLColumn & ") as COUNT1 FROM Survey_Fact WHERE " & SQLColumn & " = 'Yes';")
Set record2 = dbs.OpenRecordset("SELECT COUNT(" & SQLColumn & ") as COUNT2 FROM Survey_Fact;")

If (record1.RecordCount = 0 Or record2.RecordCount = 0) Then
Set record1 = Nothing
Set record2 = Nothing
MsgBox "This item does not exist", vbExclamation + vbOKOnly, "Error"

Else

YesRec = Val(record1!COUNT1)
TotalRec = Val(record2!COUNT2)

End If
Percent = (YesRec / TotalRec) * 100
End Function

I am new at this so I have a couple questions:

1) Is this even necessary or is there a way I can have one report with the format of...
Answer 1) 45% of people said yes, Answer 2) 17% of people said yes...so on and so forth, without adding a pile of subreports with dozens of little dinky queries.

2) If I DO have to create a function, what am I doing incorrectly that when I use this in a select I get a row returned for each row int he database. This function should return a single value for each column.

I know these are dumb questions but this is my first Access VBA project. Used to mySQL, php, Java and such.

Thanks

Can you post a few rows of data? You should be able to summarize with a fairly simple query.

ChaZ

"When religion and politics ride in the same cart...the whirlwind follows."
Frank Herbert

BakinMakinWabbit, would DCount work?

Public Function Percent(ColumnName As String) As Variant

Dim iYes, iTotal As Integer

iYes = DCount(ColumnName, "Survey_Fact", ColumnName & " = True")
iTotal = DCount(ColumnName, "Survey_Fact")

Percent = (iYes / iTotal) * 100

End Function

You can try this, in the immediate window, to check results...
?Percent("YourColumnName")

Hope this helps, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back