Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Starting an ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesbph

ISP
Apr 28, 2004
GT
Hello I want to start an ISP. We are going to recieve an E1 clear chanel to start out with for backbone conection to the internet. We are wanting to use the local cable company for conectibility with our clients. Does anyone know what type of equipment is reqired ? I have serched for days on google to locate something like a map or techinical data sheet to help in the planning part of the business. Any help you guys can provide would be of great help . We will recieve aprox 500 public Ip's to start out with so . I think there must be some kind of router that controles the mask and allows us to conect to the cable network and the E1 and servers. But Really I dont know just asking for some good advice.

James
Email Directly to BPHcorp@Hotmail.com

Hi James,

Where are you based? If in the London or manchester area it would be more practical to use a telecity, telehouse or redbus facility.

Rather than an E1 connection (1mb/s) you could take out a 100Mb/s burstable port with a provider. I know redbus do racks at £350-£400 per month and you can get your bandwidth from anywhere. Some places will throw you a bunch of IP's and give you a switched port (ie, they handle all the routing and other hassle). You just plug servers into switches and assign IP addresses.

After working for companies that have done it both ways (got the leased line & built own datacentre or chosen a shared datacentre) i know which way works best from a financial point of view and power of network point of view.

If you want some more info post back and ill give you any help you need. Can even source rackspace and upto a 1Gb/s connnection for you in London.

User: My computers smoking.
Support: Turn it off.
User: Will i lose my work??
Support: Turn it off.

what is ur plan are you goin to be a reseller of bndwidth or just a dial-up internetuser? if u are onto reselling take advice of robbie, get bursting not an e1 for cost savings..you need to have a router that can handle a said bndwidth and use frame relay to deploy broadband bndwidth with CIR to ur client to be....we are an isp we are implementing frame relay (bursting features ex: 64kbps-128kbps and etc)to our clients nationwide(philippines) and we also have dial-up clients, we have 5 e1r2(digital signal 30lines each, phone hunting)...

Note: get internet to TIER1 conxtion nt to a rseller also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back