Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Setting up My own Name Servers, Domains / DNS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkvnm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
US
Hi All,

Here is the my case.....

I have a small company with more than 10 domain names registered with various registrars. My hosting company "xyz" gave me the following name servers.

ns1.xyz.com - 123.123.123.111
ns2.xyz.com - 123.123.123.112

But, I want to use my own company "mycompany.com" name in the name servers so that my clients will not know about xyz.com.

So, I have registered name servers with the registrar where I have registered "mycompany.com" as follows...

ns1.mycompany.com - 123.123.123.111
ns2.mycompany.com - 123.123.123.112

Things are working fine this way for more than couple of years.

Now, I took a dedicated server with another hosting company - "newcompany.com". This new company assigned three static IP addresses to my box - let's call them as...

255.100.100.101 (A)
255.100.100.102 (B)
255.100.100.103 (C)

I am able to access the box with any of these ip addresses.

This "newcompany.com" has two dns (name?) servers such as

ns1.newcompany.com - 100.100.100.101 (X)
ns2.newcompany.com - 100.100.100.102 (Y)

Btw, the box has Win 2000 and IIS 5.0. I created a web site in the IIS and assigned it to one of the three IP addresses and I am able to browse the web pages using that IP address, like
Now, my question/issues are....

1. Which IP addresses should I use for ns1.mycompany.com and ns2.mycompany.com? I mean shall I use A, B or X, Y?

2. I heard that setting up DNS servers on my own box will consume lot of resources of my box. So, I prefer not to have my own DNS server.

3. How do I use wildcard domain names? For example, I want to point "anything.mycompany.com" to " At my current hosting company, they are supporting this feature - so our web applications are developed to use these features.

Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable time.

1. NS1 should be on one provider, and ns2 on another. This is just incase one goes down, it is unlikely both providers will go down at the same time.

2. It should not be a huge load. And, If DNS is all thats running on the server, you will be fine.

3. Don't know about the wildcards.... Is probably software specific feature.... Hope some else in here posts how/which software.

I'm using this wildcard in BIND 9:
[tt]* IN CNAME www[/tt] //Daniel

Thanks dredogg and Daniel!

I still have questions...

1. Which IP Addresses should I use for my name servers. If I use A and B, then do I need to run DNS on my box? Can I just avoid running DNS - will there be any problem if I don't have DNS entries on my box?

2. I am using Bind 8.x - what's the best way to get it upgraded to 9.x? Any advise??

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Answer to question 1, If you dont want to use your own DNS is fine. The thing is, if you use your own DNS, you have full control of it. Do you have full control of newcompany DNS? If not you have to ask them to put your into newcompany DNS setting. I suggest that you run your own DNS just for backup DNS in case both newcompany DNS are down, which unlikely and of course they have backup DNS as well. At the end, it all up to you, how you going to maintain your service.

If you only running www, no harm not to use your own DNS.

regards,
feroz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back