Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Setting Up DNS Server... Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdrew00

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
Hey guys, I'm running windows 2003, IIS 6, and the windows DNS server. I have no clue how to set it up and get it running, i would appreciate your patience and instructions. Thanks again, just let me know what info you need to get rolling.

kdrew

kdrew00 this is actually a pretty simple task. I will make a few assumptions like this server is behind a router or firewall and is not directly connected to the internet. I will also assume it is running AD and you only want secure updates to DNS records.

First, make sure DNS is installed, if its not go in to add/remove windows components and install it. Go in to Administrative tools and open the DNS management console or use MMC to open the snap in. Next you should make sure the Preferred DNS Server in the servers TCP/IP Properties is the servers IP address, the server should point to its self for DNS. Back to the DNS management console now, right click forward lookup zone and click new zone. This will produce a wizard for you and the questions will vary depending on your setup of the server. You will be creating a Primary Zone, make sure Store Zone in AD is checked, leave Zone Replication at its default, name the zone, usually the same as your domain name(mydomain.com or mydomain.local), make sure Allow only secure updates is checked. That’s about it for setting up a forward lookup zone, you do the same thing when you create a reverse lookup zone except you use the first 3 octets of your servers IP address instead of a domain name. One more thing to do, right click the server in the DNS management console and click properties, click on the Forwarders tab, add your ISP DNS IP’s to the selected domain’s forwarder IP_address list. All internal clients should point to your server for DNS, anything it can’t answer it will forward off to your ISP’s DNS servers.

Hope this helps you out.

Roadki11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back