Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Screening New Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyDragon

Programmer
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hi All! I'm a newbie regarding Visual Studio.net and am in the process of interviewing a developer for a project that is 3/4 complete. I need someone up to speed very quick, and am interested if anyone can help me with some good questions that will weed out the applicants that are BSing. I've learned in the past that a resume is only worth the ink it's printed on. If anyone has any good suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

BTW - if anyone is in the Dallas area and is VERY good at ASP.net, C#, and Crystal Reports.net, feel free to shoot me your resume. This is for the next month or two in the Fort Worth TX area. Otherwise, I'd appreciate the help with the screening!

Thanks All!
Juls

Having just been through the same process - albeit on the other side (I was the person being interviewed) - hopefully I can help ;-)

The kind of things I was asked was to define some basic .NET/programming terms (What is a webservice and why would you use one? How would you create a function in SQL?) and then move on to more complex things (I was asked about how to persist session state when compiling a project).

The person you're interviewing may not know the answer to the question - but check and see if their methodology is sound (e.g. they say "I don't know how to create a function but I could look up in Books Online or maybe search the Internet" - just as a suggestion)

Maybe you could also set a basic test for them to write in an hour e.g. create a web application to store customer details and allow administrators to update them, save the contents of a URL to a file and display the HTML on screen - or something to actually test their abilities? Maybe even take one of the questions from this forum and pose it to them ;-)

Hope this helps you

Craftor
:cool:

You could give them an example situation, mirrored of your own and see how they would approach it...if they would feel comfortable enough with the programming to pick up where someone else left off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back