Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help publishing an Microsoft OLAP cube to Intranet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTydeman

Programmer
May 9, 2000
AU
I want to be able to publish MS SQL Server OLAP to an Intranet and am not sure how to do this.<br><br>All I need to do is publish the cube for viewing purposes for a pilot system.<br><br>I was told this could be accomplished very easily using MS Excel 2000.&nbsp;&nbsp;However the results have been difficult to implement and difficult to use so I am looking for other options.<br><br>I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and how they accomplished this.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>As it is a pilot I am looking for minimum effort but any ideas would be welcome.<br>

I have recently gone through the process of creating a cube and publishing it onto my company's intranet.&nbsp;&nbsp;I used the Pivot Table Service in Excel 2000.&nbsp;&nbsp;Although there was quite a bit of tweaking to be done, I have been fairly happy with the results.&nbsp;&nbsp;The process of updating, formating and re-publishing the cube with each update can be a little time-consuming, especially when added on top of the process of updating your cube.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you are managing a single cube, with relatively infrequent updates, Excel 2000 is a reasonable choice (especially if you use it to convince your company to buy one of the big, expensive front-end products). <p>Jackson C. Cooper<br><a href=mailto:jacksonc@orrcorp.com>jacksonc@orrcorp.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You can also use Microsoft Visual Interdev and Microsoft Office Web Components 9.0 Pivot Table, its much easier

If you only want to publish reports of SQL server OLAP, you can use Business Objects to do this reports connecting to SQL and then you may use Web Intelligence, that is a portal in the Web and you can view the reports that yo did in SQL server

Get evaluuation software from one of the 10 -15 software companies that support MSOLAP. Business objects, Brio, Temptec, and others. See the MS web site for partners.

Hve a look at - They produce a cube viewer whcih is ideal via intranets. Has free roaming access, and integrated security. I couldn't do without it.

Fiona.

Fiona Williams

First, you can connect to OLAP Server using Excel and
then publish that book on the WEB. And you will get html page that use Office Web Components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back