Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED HELP PRINTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tancan74

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
Hi all,
I have a report that contains almost 12000 records in the main table, and approximately 40,000 records in each of the two subreports that are in my report. My problem is, it takes FOREVER to read and then spool to my printer. Can anyone help with this??

Thanks!
Tanya

12K/40K records to read, or records to include in the report? If all of these records are making it into the report, there isn't as much as we can do. However, if you only need to get a small fraction of these for the report, we might be able to optimize the SQL to speed up the capture of the data. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Do you have a print server?

In the Graphic Arts Industry we print huge files all the time. We use a third party software package called Color
Central that runs on an NT server. It frees up our local machines right away and lets the server do all the work.

This package is designed for high-resolution graphic heavy documents but I'm sure a similar product exists for large black and white text documents to. There used to be one called Print Central but I think it got swallowed up by one of the bigger players in that arena.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for responding. Well, I called Tech Support on this one and they tell me that because BOTH my subreports are in the Detail section of the main report that it is reading them slower. Now I need to find some way to get the subreports out of the detail section and still have it look the way it is designed. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Tanya

Yep, that will do it. I didn't think to ask where the subreports were.
Why are you using linked subreports instead of linking the tables directly?
Do you need to see them with every detail record? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Well, for some reason, my linking wasn't working properly. I have three tables, my customer table, current transactions table and then a previous transactions table. They are all linked by the customer number. But when I tried to use the linking expert in designing this report, it just plain refused to do it. So, I ended up using subreports. Man, if I could get rid of the subreports, I would be one happy camper! But, I am in major time restraints here, and have also discovered another problem I have in getting CR to generate a DPCB Barcode on this same report. I'm about ready to pull my hair out! Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help, and if you come up with any ideas, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks! :)
Tanya

Part of your problem is that you have 2 one-to-many relationships. CR doesn't allow you to read one then the other, but will do a many-to-many join of the 2 tables.

If you can link to one of the subreport tables successfully, you can get the details for one subreport into the main report and use the subreport for the other set. That would cut the time in half. Put the subreport in the GH of the customer.

Best is if you can get a view or SP into the database that appends the current to the history. Then you will get the best performance. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back