Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help picking correct version SQL Server 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

grippy

Programmer
Dec 2, 2004
US
Hello all, I am operating the following dedicated server:

Windows Web Server 2008 R2 64 Bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
4 GB Ram
2 @ 750GB SATA Drives w/ Raid Controller

The only purpose of this server is to run 1 asp.net custom shopping cart system website. Times are tough and money is tight. I need to know which version of SQL server I can get away with spending the least amount that wont slow down the site due to restrictions. Ive read the MS comparison site but need an experts opinion in making the correct financial choice.

From what I understand there are Express, Workgroup, Web, and Standard Editions. My hosting company offered Web Edition at $29 a month or Standard at $250 / mo! I am open to buying rather than leasing too if its not too much money. Do you think I will be fine with Web Edition? or are there limitations. Also too I have 4 DTS packages that I use to submit produts to advertisers about once a month which just export my product data into a .txt file which I just upload. I noticed Express edition limits to 1 GB of Ram which doesnt do the server justice and I would like to take advantage of all the ram on the server. Also if its just cheaper and easier for me to host the SQL Database elsewhere on some sort of shared data server let me know some links to better hosting companies for that.

Thank you for any advice/help you can offer me in order to make the best decision for my company.

All you can install on Windows Web Edition is Express or Web Edition.

Express edition is free, and does have a memory limit. With 4 Gigs of RAM, you won't have much more than 1 Gig available for SQL Server any way. Windows needs about 2 Gigs, you'll need a Gig for IIS and that leaves a Gig for SQL Server. As long as you can work with the database size limit you'll be fine.

Just keep in mind that SQL Express doesn't have a job scheduler so you'll need to use the Windows Scheduler to schedule things like database maintenance, etc.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back