Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help optimizing join that uses function call

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwolf00

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
US
Hi everyone,

I'm a little stuck on this one...
Table eEvent tracks actions that happen to items in rbm_management. I need to find the last event that happened before billing (the billing date is returned by the function rbm_fGetBillingDate). The code works very fast when I hard code the billing time like this.

Code:
SELECT m.dtdeadlinestart, rbm_fgetbillingdate(m.dtdeadlinestart) billDate, dt.maxtime, e.etostage
FROM RBM_MANAGEMENT m
JOIN EEVENT e ON m.efolderid = e.efolderid 
JOIN (SELECT efolderid, MAX(eeventtime) maxTime
	FROM EEVENT 
	WHERE eeventtime <= [blue]TO_DATE('7/15/2007 8PM','mm/dd/yyyy hhAM')[/blue]
	AND efromstage <> etostage
	GROUP BY efolderid) dt ON e.efolderid = dt.efolderid AND e.eeventtime = dt.maxTime
WHERE m.dtDeadlineStart BETWEEN TO_DATE('6/18/2007','MM/DD/YYYY') AND TO_DATE('9/6/2007','MM/DD/YYYY') + 1

However, when I make the billing date dynamic like this it is extremely slow
Code:
SELECT m.dtdeadlinestart, [red]rbm_fgetbillingdate(m.dtdeadlinestart) billDate[/red], dt.maxtime, e.etostage
FROM RBM_MANAGEMENT m
JOIN EEVENT e ON m.efolderid = e.efolderid 
JOIN (SELECT t1.efolderid, MAX(t1.eeventtime) maxTime
	FROM EEVENT t1
	[blue]JOIN RBM_MANAGEMENT t2 ON t1.efolderid = t2.efolderid
	WHERE t1.eeventtime <= rbm_fgetbillingdate(t2.dtdeadlinestart)[/blue]
	AND t1.efromstage <> t1.etostage
	GROUP BY t1.efolderid) dt ON e.efolderid = dt.efolderid AND e.eeventtime = dt.maxTime
WHERE m.dtDeadlineStart BETWEEN TO_DATE('6/18/2007','MM/DD/YYYY') AND TO_DATE('9/6/2007','MM/DD/YYYY') + 1

I know that this is due to the fact that the function is being fired for each row in the eEvent table. Is there a way to use the result from the function firing once in the main query?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back