Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on router config -- internet access setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonbill40

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2005
US
Great board guys,

I am a network admin for a Bank and have about 11 branches. I am at the main branch where all frame circuits terminate.

My network is setup to where all remote routers at my branches come back to my main WAN router here at my branch for all requests. Don't really have any access lists setup.

My Wan router basically poles another local router here that has been provided to us by our core processor. (This is just a company that houses all of our mainframe servers for us.) The core proc. is also providing us managed internet service down through their connection to their router here. That router is locked down and I have no access to it. My Wan router poles it for all requests including http and so forth.

I am dropping the managed internet and have gotten dsl here and have it hooked into a sonic firewall 3060.

My cisco experience has been very limited to this point and need help on how to basically just tell my wan router to look to the sonic wall (a lan ip address) for all internal internet requests. I don't believe i need to make the config really secure since the sonicwall has all of that setup, just need the syntax of the router config change that i need to make.

Thank you for your help.
Shannon

Type "write term" and you should see something like "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip_of_managed_router>"

To change this, type:
no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip_of_managed_router>
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip_of_sonicwall>

If it doesn't work, you can retype the commands with the "no" switched. Once you know that everything works, type "write mem" to save the configuration.

Thanks lgarner.

Is this basically just making an ip route for the router to check for all requests? Is this going to effect the existing config that tells my managed router to go to the core processor router for all other requests? Thanks

It might. It won't actually affect your managed router, but you might need to set up your new LAN router to forward packets to the managed router in order to get to the core processsor. Check with the managed router people to be sure.

Static routes look similar to the default route:

ip route x y z

where "x" is the destination network, "y" is the destination subnet mask, and "z" is the next hop (probably the <ip_of_managed_router> from above.

For example, if the core processing is behind the managed router and is on network 172.20.14.0/24, you'd have:

ip route 172.20.14.0 255.255.255.0 <ip_of_managed_router>

Incidentally, the router doesn't check requests or poll anything. It simply forwards packets to a (logically) locally-attached host (computer or another router) based on its routing table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back