Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on my Intel processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDFREEK

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
GB
Hi

Would it be safe if i put a Intel pentium 3 900 processor in a Jetway motherboard which says it can only run processors at 600 i know it will only run it at 600 but this is the onlt one avalible to me.
Please Help!!!

You shouldn't have any problems as long as it is the correct type of processor for the socket you are using and the front side bus is supported by the motherboard (100fsb?)
If you go onto the jetway website and download and install the latest flash bios you may get a pleasant surprise and find that it supports even higher speed than you anticipated.
The original manual will only state what the board was capable of supporting at the time of going to print, indeed in the intervening time several bios's may have become available than support even higher processor speeds.
FINGERS CROSSEDXXXXXX Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Only thing you may find is that the board's multiplier tables don't accomodate for anything beyond 600. If you don't care that the cpu is running at 65% capacity then you should be fine. Another thought is does the board support the particular core configuration of the cpu. P3s and Celerons have different core types which reflect their cacheing, write-back, and other processing capabilites. The proof is in the pudding though...fire it up and if it works, great! Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back