Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on Installing IBM DS4300 Expansion Drawer

Status
Not open for further replies.

miteshdmanek

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
US
Hello all --

I need to be pointed in the right direction with installing a DS4300 Expansion Drawer. I currently have 4 drawers and am adding a 5th with 14drives. IBM is doing the hardware install, but they are telling me there is some configuration/things to look out for etc. that the client needs to handle. I am not too sure what they mean by that.

I have verified my current software/firmware levels but just need to know what I have to do config wise after the expansion drawer is hooked up and powered on. I am looking to do this install concurrently with no downtime. Also, if this helps, I will be adding the expansion drawer to the top of the current 4 drawers due to rack space.

Can someone please help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

hi,
these operations has to be done in hot mode: the controller is no "happy" to wake up in the morning with a configuration different from that of previous evening.

There are not hardware problem to do this in hot mode: the fibers have not electrical problem as SCSI, for wich in some cases is not cenvenient do this with power on.

If you make a wiring mistake, also if you powered-off controller, you loose some disks (temporary).

For these motivation, there are correct procedure to do this: detach CableA from portX and attach to PortY...
If you have double path from controllers to disks, you have not discontinuity in the service: in some moments you will see som warning message in the console, as: dual path lost, but with noproblem in the servers.

To know this, we need know the correct Type-Mod of the storage (to know if is single or dual controller) and those of the first 4 drawer and those of the 5th (to know which type of link there is between the drawers).

bye
victor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back