Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on first attempt at HP-OV on HP-UX

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayzorx

MIS
Aug 11, 1999
US
I have HPOV on HPUX 10.20. The product is installed and I want to start making some visable progress in setting up a map of my network and monitoring links (more specificly routers) that go down. I have a good size (38 PVC) frame relay network. I think that using a seed file would be a good way to go, but I'm not positive. Can anyone suggest the best way to get up a running quickly? I'm new at Unix but can manage most commands and tasks.

Thanks for any replies!

Rayzor:<br>
<br>
Put in a couple of seed routers as devices and the map will pretty much create itself. You will need to highlight and manage any subnets that you want to discover. Objects will be tan to indicate that they're not being managed. To manage them, select Map-&gt;Manage or (for v6+) Edit-&gt;Manage. Initially, you will only discover the subnet that you're on.<br>
<br>
When creating a map, I usually unmanage Internet right off the bat! I don't want to manage my local subnet, it's all workstations and PCs. I'm interested in the routers and core switches. So, I will create a couple of the core routers and then manage the surrounding subnets. A netmon.noDiscover file can help you exclude devices.<br>
<br>
To get traps working correctly, make sure that you have the correct community name strings set up in the Options -&gt; SNMP Configuration screen and you've loaded the trap MIBs for the devices that you want to recieve enterprise traps for.<br>
<br>
Hope that helps...<br>
jfk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back