Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on configuring a SAP 620 initial logon dialog box

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomer01

Technical User
Nov 24, 2004
CA
I am running SAP 620 on a win 2003 DC at home. This is my first attempt to learn SAP (currently using it at work) but not for hell would it allow me to login! I have created a SAP_Share Folder and started the distribution service. However, I don’t really know how to configure the various settings on the logon dialog box.

The buttons are: Groups (system ID--, Message Server--, SAP Router for), Server (system id--, message server--), New (application server, sap router string).

Can anyone out there write the steps necessary for configuring these buttons? I, and others novice users I am sure, will appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

try the 'New' button;
On my systems there are a few more fields than those you mentioned:

Name: <choose whatever>
application server: <your hostname>
sap router string: <leave empty>
SAP system: R/3
system number: <the number you entered when installing; default is 00 or 01>

good luck!

Thanks for responding to my request for help. However, unfortunately I did do what you asked but I keep getting the following message:

“partner not reached (host chad-wexler, service sapdp01) WSAECONNREFUSED: Connection refused”

“Error No. 10061; Return code -10; Method NipConnect2; Line 979; Module ninti.c”

It just wouldn’t connect so is there another suggestion?

I forget to also mention that I did configure the SAPConsole Administrator, in the control panel, with the following information: Hostname chad-wexler; System ID 01.

I think your saplogon is properly configuered; you won't get better results when you try other buttons.

The problem must be on the other side; it seems your SAP did not come up properly. Have a look at SAP log files, for example in directory <drive>:\usr\sap\<SAP_SID>\DVEBMGS01\work. Look for error messages in files dev_disp, dev_w0 and others.

Another possible problem is that your system number isn't 01. Please double-check.
What are the subdirectory names in <drive>:\usr\sap\<SAP_SID> ? One of them should have the system number in it.

hope this helps

This is part of the logfile error (see below). The programs just won't run.

Is there something else as you have said i have configured the logon program well? I am desperate just to have the program take off.

----------------------------------
End\sap\Setup\sapsetup.cfg to \\CHAD-WEXLER\SAP_SR$\SAPwksta\sapsetup.cfg
13:17:54 SapFeiUt 1W Failed in call to OpenService in OpenService 1060
13:17:55 SapFeiUt 1 Security : allowed CHAD-WEXLER\Chad to logon as service
13:17:55 SapFeiUt 1 Security : allowed CHAD-WEXLER\Chad to logon interactively
13:17:55 SapFeiUt 1 Security : allowed CHAD-WEXLER\Chad to act as part of system
13:17:55 SapFeiUt 1 Security : allowed CHAD-WEXLER\Chad to replace process-level token
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1 Created Service successfully at C:\WINDOWS\SAPwksta\sapfeids.exe
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1 initializing configuration managment
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1 config information is uptodate
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 3 WNetGetUniversalName failed, WNetGetLastError returned 0, but no universal name given
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1 updated config file D:\Program Files\Shareaza\Downloads\SAP ebooks\SAP\Front End\sap\setup\SapSetup.cfg; [General] InstServer=\\CHAD-WEXLER\Downloads_Sha\SAP ebooks\SAP\Front End\sap
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1E failed to update config file \\CHAD-WEXLER\Downloads_Sha\SAP ebooks\SAP\Front End\sap\Setup\SapSetup.cfg
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1 updated config file D:\Program Files\Shareaza\Downloads\SAP ebooks\SAP\Front End\sap\setup\SapSetup.cfg; [General] DsServer=CHAD-WEXLER
13:17:56 SapFeiUt 1E failed to update config file \\CHAD-WEXLER\Downloads_Sha\SAP ebooks\SAP\Front End\sap\Setup\SapSetup.cfg
13:17:57 SapFeiUt 1E Installation service : failed to start service: The service did not start due to a logon failure. Error code 0x42d (1069)
13:17:57 SAPAdmin 1E Service Configuration : The Distribution Service has been installed and configured on 'CHAD-WEXLER', but failed to start. Please check permissions and logon credentials of 'CHAD-WEXLER\Chad' on the host computer.
13:18:06 SAPAdmin 1E Failed to start distribution service: The service did not start due to a logon failure. Error code 0x42d (1069)
13:18:08 sapfeiui 3 Wizard : showing page 'SAPAdmin Distribution Service Wizard - [Step 1 of 5]'
13:18:09 sapfeiui 3 Wizard : user selected 'Next'
13:18:10 sapfeiui 3 Wizard : showing page 'SAPAdmin Distribution Service Wizard - [Step 2 of 5]'
13:18:10 sapfeiui 3 Wizard : user selected 'Next'

Hello,

thanks for posting the error log.
So I can say for sure that your problem is not an ill-configured saplogon.ini file. You will need saplogon to log on to SAP as soon as SAP is up and running. You don't use it for install or update.

The key is this part in your log file:
Please check permissions and logon credentials of 'CHAD-WEXLER\Chad' on the host computer.

It seems to be a Windows problem; check if user Chad has all necessary permissions, e.g. for writing to install directories, or maybe changing registry, or the like. As far as I know the installing user has at least to be Local Administrator.
Or perhaps wrong password?

regards

Hi:

i have tried so many things but the program still won't run. Chad is both a member of the Domain/Enterprise /Replication Admin account and still nothing.

Is there some specific instruction for installing SAP under server 2003 or XP? What has to be configured initially for a successful installation?

Is there a site you can point me to or maybe some pdf material that is readily available? For heaven sake why is SAP such a pain?

Talk to you.

Hi,

well, I am afraid that I can't help more. Usually I am working with SAP on Unix, and I am not good at Windows administration. [sad]

And I think you are greatly underestimating the task of installing SAP.
There are consulting firms who make a living from it. They would not be there if everybody could do it just by clicking at setup.exe. [wink]

There is not just one document for installing, there are hundreds or maybe thousands of it, depending on your operating system, your database, your exact SAP component and version. You should have got the relevant installation guides the same way you got your software. Is there any pdf on the CD or DVD?

And furthermore, sometimes there are bugs in SAP's installation routines. The sheer number of possible combinations makes it impossible for them to check everything. (I am not saying that there is a bug on your CD/DVD!)
If you have got a support contract, you may ask SAP how to continue ...

As an alternative, you might consider to install SAP IDES, that means International Demonstration and Education System. It has most features of a usual SAP R/3, but is better tested and documented. As far as I know, your company will get it for free, if they have a support contract.

regards

Hi:

Thanks for sticking around. I will try to get this thing up and going. When I do i will certainly let you know.

Hello zoomer01,

this might sound real elementry but need to check certain things first.

1) you r trying to access the SAP server (located at your workplace) through a SAP Gui client at your home. is that correct?

2) if so then does your workplace SAP server require you to be in local network to be able to access it???

3) if yes, then i guess ur problem is simply that u r trying access that server from outside the network hence ur connection is being refused.

SOLUTION
--------
--------
contact your sys admin at company ask him to give u the access to SAP server via a VPN connection. ths will enable u to login into the local network of the company even from your home.

configure your windows for the VPN and connect to the server. this should work. try it out

regards

Hi!

My first posting here on Tech-Tips, so please forgive any breaches of protocol.

In my experience with Windows Server, it is possible for the user to be a member of an Admin-level group and still not have the effective permissions of a local Admin. There are several ways to fix this:

1. Make sure that user Chad is NOT in a lower-level users group. Windows can apply "deny" permissions over "allow" permissions if the security settings are left at defaults.

2. You can use Group Policy editor to change the User Rights assignments for the user Chad and/or the Administrators group. Use gpedit.msc from the Run dialog.

3. Use a registry hack to alter the permissions of the service, the user Chad, and/or the Administrators group to allow running with the necessary privileges.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back