Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help on communication devices and processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankarsr

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop. but I have a doubt in selecting the configuration of the laptop.

1) 802.11b Wireless LAN
2) 56K modem+10/100 LAN
3) Free 54g Upgrade From 802.11b

Can you please tell me the difference among above three devices?

Which one is useful for laptop? Suppose If I opt for choice one then will it allow me to browse the internet? because as per my knowledge, 56K modem will allow us to browse the internet.

Doubt 2 :

can you please tell me the differnce between the processors Mobile Pentium(R) 4 , Pentium 4 and Centrino. If you have any webpage containing this information, please send that link to me.

Thank you very much for helping me.

Sankarsar,
In short.. you would be best off to get all the networking interfaces you can. 802.11b is what I run at my house, and its fine for web-browsing, but because its limited to 11 megabit, its no-so-good for network file transfers. 802.11g on the other hand (which my laptop supports) is 54 megabit. Still not as fast as the standard 100 megabit wired LAN connection, but much faster. But, a 802.11g access point is at least twice as expensive. The 56k modem is almost worthless, unless you are one of the unlucky few without broadband. I got a modem in my laptop, but have only used it once. All of those network interfaces will allow you on the internet. From the standpoint of the apps running on your PC (like internet explorer), they are all just network interfaces anyway.
The processors are somewhat more complex. Centrino is the newest and best, but its not just a processor. Its a whole suite of technologies, such as M processors, built in WiFi and special chipsets. One thing to keep in mind is that when comparing clock speeds/performance ratios, a 2Ghz P4 <> a 2Ghz P4M. I dont know the exact details, but check out for more info. For me, the big benefit of the M processor/Centrino technology is the extended battery life & built in WiFi. And Centrino will be significantly more expensive.

Hope this helps ya..

Thank you very much for your detailed information.

Still I have a doubt. Please try to clarify that.

Currently I am not having broadband connection. We have got a basic phone connection in my house. In future I will take that broadband connection. I think I need to connect to internet using 56K modem for time being.

Now suppose If I opt for &quot;802.11b Wireless LAN&quot; option or &quot;Free 54g Upgrade From 802.11b&quot; in LAPtop , then will it include 56k modem or not? because I have to use modem till I take a broadband connection.

Please try to go to below link. there you can see the configuration of the laptop and there you can see the options in communication.

Thank you

Clicked on more , and you will se that
802.11g is an addition to 10/100 Lan and modem ,

54g Wireless LAN
At up to 54Mbps, integrated 54g takes wireless networking to the next level with performance that is almost five times faster than 802.11b (11Mbps). You can share more, access more, and do more over your home or small office network. 54g is fully compatible with both 802.11b and 54g wireless network standards (wireless access point required). Also included are integrated 10/100 LAN and built-in modem for flexibility on the go.

Thank you very much. I havenot seen the &quot;more info&quot; link near that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back