Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on Comments in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

annanathan

Programmer
May 1, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I have an excel sheet filled with data in column A. I need the column B to say "Explain" whenever the value in cell A is less that 200 and I want the 'Comment' box to appear

eg.
A B
1 123 explain
2 234
3 423
4 53 explain
5 234

row 1 and 4 should have those small red tringles on the top right hand corner.

I need to do this without any VBA! This is where the challenge comes. Is there a way of doing it just in the formula? I mean just in the if statement?

Please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Hey, annanathan,

If the requirement is "no VBA!"...

why did you post this in the VBA Formu?????? Skip,

Hi annanathan

The first part of your problem is relatively straight forward just add the formula =if(a1>200,"explain","") in cell B1 and copy down as far as necessary.

The second part, as far as I'm aware, can't be done without code (at this stage I'll step back and discover something else I never knew!!) unless you go through each cell manually.

If doing it by code you'll have to use the NoteText method of the range object as the comment property is read only.

;-)

annanathan,

As a follow-up to Loomah's suggestion, you could also use (from the menu) Format - Conditional Formatting as follows...

In Cell A1, Cell Value is - less than - 200

Then click "Format" - then "Patterns" - then a color (e.g. Yellow). You could also click "Font" and choose "Bold".

For Cell B1, Cell Value is - equal to - ="explain"

The use the same formatting (Yellow and Bold) as for cell A1.

Hope this helps. :)

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back