Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help networking a Barcode Solution in my warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad73

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2001
CA
Hi:

We have a fairly large production facility and are deating whether to go RF LAN or a hybrid wired/wirless solution of Switches and digiports hard wired to Wyse 60 Terminals attatched to barcode scanners. This seems like the lowestr cost alternative for my application. Any suggestionjs on RF LAN vs. the Switches/ Hubs?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a metal cabinet made for these WYSE terminals that has a plexdyglass front panel and Metal on the sides and back? I'm having trouble sourcing such a thing.

Thanks in advance.

Arif

Arif,

Just curious how your project is progressing -- I'm undertaking a similar project, probably going with the digiport method to handle Wyse serial terminals.

Thanks!

Hi:

Nice to know that I'm not alone. Today is day 1 of the setup and installers are running their cabling right now (from Switches to Wireless Antennas). So far this wiring is proving to be the most difficult part, so I suggest that you nail down EXACTLY how they propose to run the wires ahead of time.

Will keep you posted.

ad73

Sounds like a challenge. I'm ordering the Digi port servers tomorrow for our project. We're changing from serial dialup to TCP/IP over DS0's at 5 remote locations. Wiring's already in place, so that's not a problem. I looked at wireless but can't justify it yet -- we're looking for max uptime and I need to eliminate possible problems ahead of time!

We're using Digi as well. Our's seem to be a little back-ordered so I am in a waiting mode now. I'm not familiar with DSO though? we currently connect to our other locations using FRAME RELAY, but are considering a switch to Voice over IP for phone and Data transmissions. prelim indications are that VOIP will pay for itself inside 1 year and then result in an annual cost savins of $30,000 to $40,000. Is DSO similar to either of these? Where can I get a brief introduction to DSO.

Thanks and keep me posted.

ad73

DS0 = 64K data com line. Usually delivered over a channelized DS1 (T1) There are 24 channels in a fully channelized DS1, each channel = 1 64k DS0. In jpm121's case, I believe he's referring to a POTS line (Plain Old Telephone Service.) which can also be referred to as a DS0.

Here's a definition of how the digital signal specifications work...

Yep benzito, you're exactly right. With minimal bandwidth needs it's a perfect solution for us at $70 a month and pretty much 100% uptime.

ad73, Sorry I'm not up to speed on VOIP yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back