Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Mass Mailing from Access to Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacroScope

Programmer
Jul 17, 2010
US
I'm not sure whether this is more appropriate to an Access or an Outlook forum.

I have a 20-user Access 2007 DB with SQL back end. In the DB is a list of almost 3,000 dealers to whom we want to mass-mail. We signed up for a mass-mailing SMTP service, and have configured Outlook accordingly.

That service allows a maximum of 1,000 names to be mailed at one time, and I wrote a routine within Access to create 3 strings of 1,000 email addresses each, configured like this: email1;email2;email3; etc, as one long string. 1,000 addresses has nearly 25k characters in the string.

After I got it set up I tried to paste the addresses into the Bcc field and found out that there's a limit of about 2k characters allowed in the field. I checked with the SMTP folks, and they explained that it's normally done by putting the addresses into groups within Outlook and then just mailing to the group, rather than entering discrete addresses.

What I would like to do is to be able to dynamically create a group within Outlook at the time of mailing, then delete the group and recreate it for the next mailing. I have the data in string format, as described above, as well as in a table with each email address on a separate record.

I'm hoping that someone can offer suggestions on how I can create an Outlook group on the fly like this. I could transfer the table to Excel if that will help, but I'd prefer to do it all within Access if possible.

All help appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back