Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help, Link Access Tables Between Office Branches

Status
Not open for further replies.

HNA

Programmer
Jan 13, 2003
KW
Dear There,

I Have Head Office And Other Branch in Other Area Connected By Router 1Mb Speed And Join Both To One Domain.
My Access DB In The Server In The Main Office, And I Link The Table In The Branch To That Table, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
How Much Slow I Face Now To Run Any Query, Forms ..... Etc.
Is There Any Other Way In Access Only To Make This Link Speed Over Now, And Is The ODBC Is Better For That, If Yes Please Tell Me How.

Thanx In Advance

" Åä Çááå íÍÈ ÅÐÇ Úãá ÃÍÏßã ÚãáÇ Ãä íÊÞäå "

HNA

Linking tables or running Access from a remote locaiton is very slow. The reason is that Access will select the entire record set or sets and return it to the local desktop, even if you are running the information on a server. (You still have Access on the local PC) This generates a lot of network traffic -- acceptable on a local area network, but dead slow on any wide area network.

Two solutions to consider...
- Terminal server. Have remote users connect to aterminal servers. Now all the daa traffic is still restricted to the local netowkr. The terminal server just looks after the keyboard, screen control / graphics and printing. (A more expensive solution, but safer in terms of the database, AND, you will be able to use the terminal server for other things as well.)

- Replicate your database. Each site has their own copy of the database. The databases are synchronized with the master copy. A less expensive solution but requires more expertize. (And backup before starting this)

Richard

Hi,

The main question you should ask is “what are the data that need to be known by all at the same time?” Those data should be on the server and link with the office. The other should be replicated, in similar tables that exist at all branches, during slow traffic.
Also, you should create history tables that have old data, needed for report but not for day to day operation.

Jean-Paul
Montreal
To send me E-Mail, remove “USELESSCODE”.
jp@USELESSCODEsolutionsvba.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back