Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help.. just converted over from MS SQL SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballz

Programmer
May 10, 2003
US
Ok, I have converted over from MS SQL SERVER. I am creating a website, Would anyone know what would be more reasonable?

a)To create 20000 + logins on mysql server as USERS and have it authenticate through there everytime they need to query.

or

b)To create tables with their login info and authenicate using that.

also

If I chose b) is there a way to insert into two tables simultaneously or get the last record created? I know there are issues with this because supposedly 2 people create an entry at the same time, it's possible to mix up their data.

These are the questions I have for now... please assist me because I wanna support MYSQL.. thanks guys

Option 2 is definitely the most viable.

- No there is no issue about messing up data as you may want to work with row locking

- Option 1 is impossible to maintain and user can't update their settings online as you would not want them to issue GRANT statements from the web site

- Insert into two tables is possible with transactions using InnoDB storage engine.

- Getting last record created is as simple as
select last_insert_ID()

Any other help you may need, this is the right place

Welcome to MySQL

Bye

Qatqat

The reason why my girlfriend can read my thoughts is because mine are properly written! (G.Lepore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back