Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help in retrieving specific data

Status
Not open for further replies.

punderful

Programmer
Dec 14, 2002
US
I am working on a db of projects and project details. In the project details I have: projectID, taskDescription, due date, complete date, billed date.

I have to create a report thats formatted like our clients, sorted by project, listing for each project the details (like this:)

project1
task1 task2 task3 task4
due (date) (date) (date) (date)
completed (date) (date) (date) (date)
billed etc

project2
etc

I've tried using a query but cannot get the results I need using dLookup. I'm assuming I need to create a recordset but am not sure where I need to create it, specifically how to write it (should I use ADO?), and if I should create a function to get the recordset. Also, should I use the function in each report.

Is it possible to use a recordset function in a query without getting the lame results I got with dLookup (the 1st value it could find, not project specific).

Please help! I learned so little about recordsets in school 3 yrs ago, and am trying to revise a pathetic db at work...

Thanks!
Punderfully confused but enjoying dabbling in programming again

Hi,
I would like to suggest using a crosstab report, based on a crosstab query. I have written a FAQ on the basics of a crosstab.
faq703-2868

After getting the report to work, then add a sorting and grouping level on the project id or name field.
HTH,
Randy Smith
California Teachers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back