Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help in configuring Smtp server

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWorm

MIS
Oct 29, 2003
US
Hi,
I hope you can help me with my smtp problems.
I setup a SMTP server using IIS so that mobile users in my company can use it to send emails especially when they are offsite.
I'm able to use it to send out emails using outlook 2003 from the office.
But problems arise when I tried to connect to it offsite ,say, at home.

Under outlook 2003, I tried to test my email accounts using the SMTP server as the outgoing mail server.
The error shown are:
1) Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.
2) Find outgoing mail server (SMTP): Unable to connect to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). Please verify the server name in the outgoing mail server field. If that information is correct, close this dialog, click More Settings and verify the port and SSL information on the Advanced tab.

What puzzled me is that I can ping the SMTP server using IP address or it's name when I'm offsite. Can some help?

Thx.

Can you telnet into the server?
telnet <ip.address> 25

I am going to guess and say that you can't. If that's the case, make sure port 25 is open and forwarded to the correct server.

Click Tools
Click Services
Select (your.net) Internet email account,click Properties
Click Servers,Click on Servers tab
Verify Outgoing Mail SMTP is set to smtp.(your.net).com(or whatever)
Click Advanced
Put a check mark in box underneath Outgoing Mail SMTP that says
This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
Make sure the port number in the box remains 25
Click Apply then OK
Click OK

I realized that my ISP is blocking port 25. anyway, i still got it to work but now have a problem with open relay.
I'm using the SMTP in IIS.
I need to be enable to authenticate my users before they can use the smtp cuz I dont want to turn my smtp serve into a open relay.

But my problem is the smtp is a standalone machine by itself in a workgroup sitting in the dmz.
How do I configure the authentication? I just need to have one account for all my users to login to the server. I want to have basic authentication but it's asking me for default domain.
How shld I do it? Shld I upgrade my smtp server to a DC by itself?

thx

put the SMTP relay server on your class c subnet (192.168.0.0) and use NAT on Firewal to point to the outside (64.64.64.64) SMTP

i.e.,
static (inside,outside) 64.64.64.64 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

then make sure only port 25 is open for you outside IP. now you SMTP will live inside but still be able to rec mail form outside..

Hi,
Thx for the reply. Now I got the smtp server to work.
I need to create client authentication.
Under outlook 2002, I setup the email address, xxx@mydomain.com. Also the outgoing mail server as smtp.xxx.com. When I do a test account settings, I got an error message from sending a test email.
It goes like this:
send test email message: unable to send test message. Please verify the Email address field.
My email address is valid.when I compose an email and send it, the smtp server is enabled to send the email. What's wrong? Can anyone tell me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back