Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help in choosing new schema (best practices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psgman2012

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2012

Hello All

I am the network admin for a small computer repair shop in key west florida, i am trying to scrape my memory on some old school tactics on the best way to set up the new network

right now this is the basic setup

the director has a laptop that is sometimes in the office, sometimes not,

his wife who handles billing and management has a desktop workstation

there are two workstations on the bench for the technicians to use for their work

their is one printer that is hooked to the network via IP

All data is run into a 1 gb switch then into a ATT uverse router before going out to the web

there is wifi in the office and it is secured

the server is running windows server 2008 R2 on it with dns, active directory, file services, and terminal services as roles

the issue is right now both terminal services (remote desktop) as well as domain profiles are setup on the server, this means if they login as remote users they get their own "desktop" to work with on the server allowing them to use their dekstop shortcuts, favorites, and shared drives, but also allowing them to see administrative tools and such in the server box (they cannot run anything as the security policy wont allow it though)

the big problem is when they login to the domain from another box (not remote) tehy get a totally different desktop, no icons or shortcuts or favorites, i dont think we need to be using both, i am just trying to figure out the best way to go about setting the network in the most user friendly manner

ideally i think they should all have domain profile OR remote desktop, or we need to replicate the profiles so the data on the domain profile and the data they see in the terminal services profile are one and the same

I realize this may not be the right area to post this so feel free to move this and to chip in your thoughts!

PSGMAN2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back