Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help in buying new computer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

changky

Technical User
Apr 20, 2003
PH
Hello everyone.

I'm planning to get a computer for my office with a tight budget. I've decided to get a P4 since fake Athlons have been going around here in the Philippines, and I don't want to risk getting a dud athlon. I'll be doing a lot of photo editing (Photoshop and Illustrator) with it, and I'm gonna use WinXP.

I'm considering two options:

P4-1.8A
512MB DDR
Geforce 2 MX400 64 DDR

P4-2.0A
256MB DDR
Geforce 2 MX400 64 DDR

These systems have the same price. Which system do you think would be better? I want something that can handle future applications and hopefully will last for years.

Thanks!!

Of those two systems, the 1.8 with 512MB RAM is the best bet. Video is fairly memory intensive and 256 is sufficient to run XP, but not with a heavy photoshop/illustrator regiment. However both are seriously limited by the video card (since you're going to be doing graphics).
I would look around for a better system with a faster processor and better graphics, but if those are your only choices, go with the first one. Those two have a life expectancy of about 2 years, since they're about a generation old already.

Hello,

I have sold many "Small Business" computers in the past.
The PC that you would need for a "Small Business" will contain all of this features:

*Intel Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz or 2.0 Ghz: (The 2.0 Ghz will be good for the job).
*256 MB Ram or 512 MB Ram: (Most of the time there will be a $55 and up to upgrade from 256 to 516).
*80 GB Hard Drive: (You will not need a bigger Hard Drive
because you can burn a CD for your information and not save files on the hard drive.
*CD Burn Drive: (You may want a comb CD Burn/DVD player). Some business need a DVD player for job classes or programs.
*Floppy Drive: (May need but they are being replaced by CD Burns). You may save about $10 to $15 if you don't need it.
*56K V.92 Modem: (If you don't use a dial-up then it may save you money to not have a Modem). I say about $35 to $45.
*Speakers: (You may not need Speakers saves you about $15 and up).
*Keyboard/Mouse
*17" Monitor (Runs you about $125 and up).
*Windows XP Professional (I good idea for a business).
*MS Office SBE (Small Business Edition 2003 includes the following Microsoft Office System programs: Microsoft Office Word 2003; Microsoft Office Excel 2003; Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager; Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003; Publisher 2003. It will run about $150 and up. Prices will be different.
*Norton Antivirus 2004 (I must have virus program).
*350 Watt UPS (They will run about $35 and up and OfficeMax). You will want to get one. Reason being is because the UPS will give you 5 to 10mins. to shut down your PC. Also, the UPS comes with a software program that shut the computer down without hurt the PC.
*Networking card (I must have if you want to network more than one PC and if you want high speed internet).

***A "RADEON 9200 128MB AGP" will be a good video card. Very good card.***** (Price about $99 if ATI website). A 128MB AGP is what you want).

Hope this helps?
JCS

I agree with Xemus, get the system with more memory.

Also, definitely get a hard drive with a spindle speed of 7200RPM. Ones with 5400RPM will disappoint you. You'll be able to read/write faster to the drive with a 7200RPM spindle speed. And if, you have enough cash left, get a hard drive with at least 2MB of cache. (8MB would be great).

With image editing, you'll benefit with more memory and a faster drive.

I'd add that if you're going to be staring at a screen for long periods, do not skimp on the monitor. Which one is the best is arguable; I have a leaning for Trinitrons from Mitsubishi or Sony, but there are others equally good.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back